Sunday, June 29, 2008

Worship with our hosts at Firehouse

This Sunday morning our team had the privilege of worshiping alongside the members of Firehouse Family Ministries. It was a tremendous blessing. I have a note in my Bible, given by a lady whose name I don't know. She passed it to me during the service this morning. It says, "If you get cold and need a wrap, please let me know." I am humbled by the kindness and compassion of this community. Their acceptance of our team and love for their Savior was poured out during the worship service. It makes me think of what Shane Claiborne said in his book, "The Irresistible Revolution." He said, "I've grown to admire the humor of a God who uses foolish things to shame the wisdom of this world, and weaklings to remind the strong that they are not as mighty as they think they are (1 Cor. 1:27). This church may appear economically poor, but it is rich in spirit. Our team went to church expecting "showers of blessing," not anticipating a New Orleans-style flood. Pray for us and for these people this week as we go out to give back to this community.

Dawn Long

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I talked to Dawn this morning! They are blessed to be part of a team that is doing something real for others. I know the kids are giving their all too and they will be blessed with this gift of serving/giving that is so often missed by our children today. Please join our family in praying for the whole NOLA team as they finish up their week. (and have the BenGay ready for when they get back home!)