Saturday, July 5, 2008

Feed the Multitudes

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me" (Matthew 25:35-36).

Those verses, printed on the back of the tshirts from Feed the Multitudes, captures not only yesterday, but even the spirit of our time here in New Orleans. Feed the Multitudes was an amazing event as thousands of the poorest people in the city came to or were bussed into City Park for the event. Our task was to hand out bags of groceries f
or people to take home with them so that not only did they get a meal, haircut and more at the event, they also went home with 2 bags of groceries. However, as the prayer tent was understaffed, several of our team had the privilege of sitting in the tent praying for people who came asking for prayer.

After the hard work of drywalling, insulating, mowing and more that we have done all week, our week culminated with the chance to feed and pray for the people of the city. What an incredible blessing. One member of our team commented it seems like at some point, we should get to be more of a blessing than we receive in return. And yet that is the very power of radical obedience and love of people is that as we do so, God is forming his character, heart and passion into us.


As we near the end of our week, thank you to all who have followed us, prayed for us and supported us. We have been the hands and feet of Christ to a city in need and have encountered the living Christ transforming us as well. Thank you.

No comments: