Thursday, July 2, 2009

Flyers

Today I went to the neighborhood of the church we worked on last year. Each day last year we worked in the church but had never met the people who lived around this church. I have to tell you it felt a little scary last year working in this neighborhood but now it felt okay to walk around the neighborhoods with the children and one other adult.

We took 4 children and 2 adults counting myself. The children were fearless. They ran to each house ringing the doorbell in anticipation of telling people about Feed the Multitude event on Saturday. I marveled at how they were enjoying what many adults like me are scared to do. I thought no wonder that the Lord said about children, "for such is the kingdom of heaven." I even watched as the children flagged down cars and the smiles on the drivers who took the flyers. I was so glad to be a part of their day.

During our morning walk-around I met a man loading a lawn mower. He allowed me to tell him of the event and then he told me, " I wished your group was staying past Sunday or I would invite you to my church." A little stunned I asked him if he was a minister and he said yes. We talked some more and then I asked if I could pray for him. He quickly took my hand and asked me to pray strength for him. I did not know what he was facing but it was a privilege to hold his hand and go before the Father and pray for him.

I met a lot of friendly people this morning. Everybody smiled and listened to me or the children. Not one person refused to take a flyer or to refuse to have us pray. I wished my own neighborhood was this friendly. My first impression could not have been more wrong.

We went back to St. Roch Church for lunch. The sun felt like it had fried my head. The one thing I forgot to bring was a hat and my scalp was paying the price. Yet I could find patches of shade every now during the morning. I was relieved to get out of the sun and heat but my spirit was soaring from all my morning meetings.

Before I continue I wanted to share with you that this was so far out of my comfort zone that three years ago, I don't think I could have done it. Talking with strangers on cold calls was just not something I would have thought I could do. But today and this week I was enjoying meeting these people and sharing my faith. As I walked I prayed to meet more people and not empty homes. If you have fear about sharing your faith, prayer for God to give you courage and strength. He will give you the words to say. He will give you courage and you will be blessed. I felt like God had given me a very special privilege to represent Him to the people of New Orleans. Many of them touched my heart.

I met Melvin the man who had diabetes. He had lost part of his leg and his left thumb. He was very thankful for somebody coming by and praying for him. He promised to come to the event on Saturday. We met Paulette who was so gracious to us. She asked for prayer for her family for these difficult financial times. The last family we met the daughter was in a battle with her family over her mom. The daughter was over fifty and her mom was in her later 80's. She cried as she shared their struggles. We came in and met her mom and we prayed for both. She was very grateful for our visit and also promised to come Saturday.

As I looked back after the day was over I recalled the faces of people facing difficult times but who smiled and shared their story with us. It reminded me how much these people needed a Savior. "How will they know unless someone is sent." "Who will answer the call?" Is it you? I remembered something I heard before I left, "God doesn't call the qualified. He qualifies the called." On this trip I am so grateful to my Lord because He called me and He qualified and I say this very humbly because I know who I am - a sinner saved by the grace of God. It is nothing special in me except for the Holy Spirit given to me by God. God doesn't need me to do a miracle but His love for us allows us to be part of His miracles. He can qualify you too if you answer the call. We truly serve an awesome God that nothing is impossible for Him!

Please keep praying for all of us. The second team is coming on Friday so we will all be here. God is doing great things. I wish you all were here.

Take care and God Bless!

Tom Bendler

No comments: